Eating enough fibre is essential for maintaining a healthy gut and digestive system. Increase your fibre intake easily with this simple plant-based soya and kidney bean chilli recipe. It is great with rice or potatoes or for a lower carb option, use cauliflower rice.
Epidemiological studies show that high-fibre diets lower the risk of cardiometabolic diseases including cardiovascular disease and type II disease. They also help to maintain a healthy gut and lower blood cholesterol levels. In the UK, the Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition advises that adults consume 30g of fibre per day, which is easy to do if you focus on eating whole foods.
A food is considered high fibre if it contains at least 3g of fibre per 100g.
Which high fibre foods can you eat?
- Oats, oat bran, all bran, sugar-free muesli
- Pulses (lentils, beans, edamame), vegetables and fruits
- Nuts and seeds especially walnuts, flaxseeds and chia seeds as they are rich sources of omega-3 fats
- Sweet potatoes, potatoes, with their skin
- Whole grains including brown rice, barley, black rice
- Wholemeal and whole grain brain
Per serving, this soya and kidney bean chilli provides ~11.4g of fibre. With a 75g serving of brown rice, it goes up to around 14g per bowl.
You should increase your fibre intake slowly if you don’t consume fibre regularly. If you have inflammatory bowel disease or irritable bowel syndrome, it is very important that you consult with your doctor before increasing your fibre intake.
Soya and Kidney Bean Chilli with Brown Rice
Plant-based Soya and Kidney Bean Chilli with Brown Rice
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 2-3 1x
- Category: Lunch/Dinner
- Cuisine: Mexican-inspired
- 1 large shallot, finely minced
- 1 fat garlic clove, finely minced
- 200g soya mince
- 200g tin red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 200g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 50g sweet corn kernels
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 red chilli chopped (optional)
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander
- Cooked brown rice, to serve
Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large pan over medium heat. Fry the chopped shallots for 1-2 minutes until softened then add soya mince, paprika, cumin and garlic. Fry for 5 minutes then add vegetable stock cube, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, kidney beans, sweet corn, chilli and around 200ml of water. Cook on a simmer for 15 minutes and season with salt and pepper if needed. Add the chopped coriander then take the pan off the heat and serve over brown rice. Garnish with extra coriander if you desire, and enjoy!