A low carb, butter bean and mushroom curry, made with coconut milk and turmeric for extra richness and a polyphenol boost!
- 400g tin butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- 2x 150g pack cauliflower rice
- 160g spinach
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1 fat garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon Madras curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 small chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk powder
- 3 tablespoons chopped coriander
For the curry
- Heat a splash of water in a medium lidded saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add the shallots and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes until softened. Tip in the turmeric, curry powder, ginger, and chilli then cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in sliced mushrooms, butter beans, vegetable stock cube and half of the chopped coriander. Place the lid on the saucepan and allow to cook for 6 minutes. The mushrooms should release some liquid. If they don’t and the pan gets too dry, add a small splash of water and then adjust the seasoning with salt and black pepper if necessary.
- Add the coconut milk powder and the remaining chopped coriander, cook for 2 minutes then take the pan off the heat.
- The curry sauce should be very light, but if you want it thicker, dissolve around 1 teaspoon of cornstarch in 3 tablespoons of water. Add a little at a time to the curry, stirring frequently until it reaches your desired consistency then take the pan off the heat.
For the spinach
Heat a small saucepan with a small splash of water or one teaspoon of olive oil. Add the garlic, just before it starts to brown, add the spinach and toss until it wilts—season with a pinch of salt and black pepper.
For the cauliflower
Cook the cauliflower according to the instructions on the package and then season with salt and pepper or with a pinch of vegetable stock granules.
Serve the curry over the cauliflower rice and enjoy with a side of spinach. Garnish with fresh coriander if you desire.
- Serving Size: Serves 1
- Calories: 468
- Sugar: 11g
- Sodium: 861mg
- Fat: 12.4g
- Saturated Fat: 7.5g
- Carbohydrates: 59g
- Fiber: 29g
- Protein: 30g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: Vegan, Butter beans, Coconut, Curry