A hearty chicken and lentil curry with coconut milk
- 50g lentils
- 1 small chicken breast (optional)
- 1 small courgette, sliced and steamed
- 10 baby plum tomatoes, halved
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon madras curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 heaped teaspoon coconut milk powder
- ½ vegetable stock cube
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander
- Steamed rice to serve
Heat oil in a medium saucepan then add shallots and spices. Fry until fragrant, then add chicken breast and garlic. Fry for two minutes then add lentils, vegetable stock cube, coconut milk powder and around 200ml of water.
Bring to the boil then cook on a simmer for 15 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Add chopped coriander, stir well then take the pan off the heat.
Serve lentils over steamed rice with courgettes and baby plum tomatoes. Garnish with extra fresh coriander and black pepper, if you wish.
Replace chicken with shellfish, beef or any other protein of your choice.
Keywords: Chicken, lentils, curry, Dahl