Snuggle up to this mouthwatering coconut chickpea curry. It is the perfect winter warmer and it is flavourful and delicious!
- 250g basmati rice
- 2x 400g tin chickpeas, drained
- 400g tin coconut milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (use olive oil if you prefer)
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 2 fat garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tbsp Madras curry powder
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 large red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Large handful fresh coriander, leaves and stalks separated
- 320g broccoli florets, steamed
- 100g cherry tomatoes, halved (optional)
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions.
- While the rice is cooking, chop the coriander stalks and leaves very finely and keep them separate.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, once hot, fry the onions for 1-2 minutes until softened then add the curry powder, garam masala, turmeric, tomato puree, chilli and coriander stalks. Fry for 2-3 minutes or until the spices become very fragrant.
- Add a small splash of water then add the garlic and vegetable stock cube. Cook for 2 minutes then stir in the chickpeas and the coconut milk. Cook on a low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning as needed. Just before taking the pan off the heat, add the chopped coriander leaves and mix thoroughly.
- Serve the chickpea curry over the rice with a side of broccoli and cherry tomatoes if using. Garnish with fresh coriander if you desire and as always, enjoy.
- If you try this recipe, please come back and let me know your thoughts.
If you’re sensitive to chickpeas, try this recipe with tofu, a meat replacement or chicken
Keywords: Curry, Chickpeas, Coconut, Curry, Basmati rice