This prwan laska curry is another perfect dinner recipe for days when dinner needs to be quick. Enjoy it with steamed rice or noodles and a side of asparagus for a complete meal.
Who else loves asparagus? I wish it didn’t have such a short season, but hey, now is the time to enjoy it as much as possible because it disappears at the end of this month. Asparagus is an excellent source of potassium, vitamin A, folic acid, vitamins C and A and certain B vitamins.
If you have issues with water retention, you may want to try adding asparagus to your diet as it is a natural diuretic. Asparagus loses its nutrients and freshness within a few days of purchasing so make sure you eat as soon as you buy it, to get the best out of it.
I can be quite boring with asparagus, I tend to steam it every time because that’s the way I enjoy it best. You can roast it with oil, herbs and spices or you can stir fry it with garlic, spring onions and mushrooms for a tasty side dish. I enjoyed my asaparagus with a tasty prawn laska curry and some steamed rice.Print
A tasty prawn laska curry, perfect for days when dinner needs to be quick!
- 200g prawns
- 2 1/2 tbbsp laska curry paste
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 fat garlic cloves, finely minced or grated
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tsp fish sauce or soy sauce
- 1 red chilli
- 1x 400ml can coconut milk
- 120g basmati rice, cooked according to pack instructions
- 200g asparagus, steamed
- Heat the coconut oil a medium saucepan over medium heat. Fry the shallots for 1-2 minutes until translucent. Add the laska curry paste and continue to fry for a few minutes or until fragrant. Add the garlic, fish or soy sauce, chilli and garlic.
- Cook for 3 minutes then add the coconut milk, vegetable stock and sugar. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Add the prawns, continue to cook on a simmer until it turns pink. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- Take the pan off the heat, serve the curry over the rice with steamed asparagus. Garnish with fresh coriander.
This curry is quite light, more like a soup. You can with rice or whole wheat noodles instead. Otherwise thicken it with a cornflour slurry or coconut cream. If the curry is too rich for your taste, add a squeeze of lime juice to cut through the richness.
Keywords: prawns, laska, coconut, curry