Walnut and Chia Crusted Salmon with Steamed Kale and Baked Potatoes
You can’t go wrong with a classic ‘meat and two-veg dinner’. Why not spruce things up with my walnut and chia crusted salmon? Enjoy with steamed kale and baked potatoes.
Marinating with spices then baking will always be my favourite way to cook salmon. But, sometimes, change is good. I saw an amazing salmon recipe recently and decided to put my twist on it.
My creation was amazing (if I do say so myself) and I’m so excited to share it with you.
I love this recipe because you get a triple dose of omega-3 fats, from salmon, chia and walnuts. Chia and walnuts also add a lovely crunch to the fish – perfect for people who don’t particularly like the texture of fish.
Fish and potatoes are match made in heaven. Do you agree? Feel free to have your fish with chips or sweet potatoes if you prefer. And (most importantly) don’t forget your side of veggies.
Omega-3 fats: Salmon, chia and walnuts are excellent sources of omega-3 fats. Salmon has the advantage of providing EPA and DHA, the omega-3 fats your body can use immediately. Chia and walnuts provided ALA, which needs to be converted to EPA and DHA before your body can use it. Omega-3 fats are fantastic anti-inflammatory compounds.
Fibre: Chia and walnuts are packed with this underrated ‘nutrient’! Fibre is crucial for digestive wellness. It helps to maintain healthy blood cholesterol levels and adds the satiety factor to food.
Vitamin D: There are very few food sources of it, but salmon is one of the best sources of vitamin D! Many people are deficient in vitamin D, and whilst taking a supplement is necessary, eating salmon is one of the best ways to keep your levels topped up. Vitamin D is not just important for health bones and teeth, it is important to keep your immune system in tip-top shape.
Let’s get into the recipe!Print
Delicious walnut and chia crusted salmon. Enjoy with baked potatoes or chips and a side of veggies.
- 1 small salmon fillet
- 150g baby potatoes, halved
- 15g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 150g steamed kale, to serve
- Heat oven to 200C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Spray potatoes with oil and season with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Roast for 20 minutes or until golden and tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, blitz walnuts and chia seeds in a food processor. Tip into a small bowl and add olive oil and chopped parsley. Stir well to combine.
- Season each side of the salmon with salt and pepper then press walnut mixture on the salmon. Place fish on a lined baking tray and bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until cooked.
- Serve fish with roasted potatoes and steamed kale.